About This Course
This course will focus on the economic, social and cultural human rights thoroughly, taking into account the changes and shifts that have taken place since the modern human rights movement first emerged in the aftermath of WWII. Starting by understanding what are the economic and social human rights, this course covers the changes that have happened, for example, due to the global financial crisis and how it is going to be the future of economic, social and cultural rights.
1. What are economic and social rights
2. Central debates about economic and social rights
3. The concept of cultural rights
4. The evolution of economic, social and cultural rights
5. How activists and policymakers have responded to all these changes
6. Future of economic, social and cultural rights
Nolan A., Economic and Social Rights after the Global Financial Crisis, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
Minkler L., The State of Economic and Social Human Rights - A global overview, Cambridge University Press, 2013.
Ahmed D., Bulmer E., Social and Economic Rights, International IDEA, 2014.
Anderson E., Foresti M., Achieving economic and social rights: The challenge of assessing compliance, Overseas Development Institute.